Intractable answers to life's simple questions.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Big Brother revealed


So I think I've finally nailed what is behind my uncharacteristic and admittedly perverse enjoyment of the low-brow bile-fest that is Big Brother.


The way people on the show behave when the cracks in their glossy forced relationships begin to show and the whole fabric begins to unravel, when they are at their basest - even accounting for the fact that the tensions are mostly imposed and the rifts mostly constructed - that behaviour validates and confirms my inherent cynicism about the world. Beneath all their gloss and polish, most people are repulsive, albeit entertaining.


Don't get me wrong. I spend most of my time trying to overcome this pessimism and make the most of life. But every now and again the wry and bleak heart of me needs to be indulged. Enter Big Brother. Quiet the soul. Return to making an effort with the world. Simple.

No comments: