Intractable answers to life's simple questions.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Finding Neverhappenedland

So I was working on a Saturday. Quiet day, no one much around. Two guys walk in - early thirties, weekend trainers, one guy thinning, the other all vanilla.

I could tell they were from Landmark. Their coming as a pair. Their uncertainty in the gallery. Their printed name tags where the first name is twenty points larger than the surname.

They order some coffees. What with it being a slow day and all, I had to set the grinder on. Between the crunch of the beans and the shrill of the video work in the foyer I coudn't hear the conversation the two guys resumed.

I poured out the coffees, unappreciated rosetta and all. Then remembered to click off the grinder. It just so happened to coincide with a break in the artwork noise. I caught the tail - or what would be the tail end when they clocked I could hear them. What I heard was this:

"And I had always thought I had a good relationship with my mum, but..."

But?

BUT?!!!

But because of the mental manipulation of an ostensibly empowering 'education' program you're now going to foist the blame for a catalogue of regrets and frustrations for decisions you've made as man of free will onto the woman who until now has overall seemed to do a fine turn of raising you?

Well how d' yeh like them apples?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ew - landmark sounds like some really sad form of group therapy. . .