Intractable answers to life's simple questions.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Cinema Files Part 1


Just saw No Country For Old Men (2008). By myself. Behind me were two girls of the 'repeat-the-plot-out-loud-and-ask-dumbass-questions' moviegoing variety. Like "Is he the guy that killed all those other guys?" Y'know what sweetheart, we've been watching the same f*%king film as you - no one else knows yet either. So shut your cakehole and assume we're going to find out.

How you can go into a mystery film and ask those kind of questions is beyond me, it really is. Is it that these people have such a track record of missing the point that they're conditioned to think they must have missed some crucial piece of information glaringly obvious to everyone else? In which case, I should have more sympathy. Clearly then they've had a hard-knock life. But I suspect it is more a case of having no basic social manners and liking the sound of their own voices.

And the even worse culprits (although mercifullyy it didn't come to this tonight) are the ones who are indignant when you tell them to can it (politely of course). The I-paid-my-hard-earned-cash-to-be-here-so-I-have-a-right-to-act-like-a-tool mentality. Like everyone else in the theatre paid to hear their dim commentary.


As for the film...I didn't get it. Was it about the futility of pursuit, whether on the side of criminal or justice? Was it actually representing what it is to get old (a bit shambolic and very, very bloody)? Or whas it a great existential western on the page that didn't quite translate the gravity on screen? Despite near flawless performances from the entire cast (although I'm not sure Woody Harrelson has any scrap of acting credability left, even in a Coen Brothers movie), I wasn't on anyone's side. I wasn't afraid for anyone or frustrated with anyone or impressed or shocked or moved by anyone. The plot rolled along, people came and went and stuff happened in between. Strangely distant. A mystery without suspense. Or maybe just No Country For Generation Y.