Intractable answers to life's simple questions.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Umm, Like, Love Songs and Shit


Joan Wasser is responsible for what I rate as my favourite album of all time. Coincidentally (since I am not known for my musical taste or prowess) said album may also rate as one of the best albums of all time, according to some objective scale I'm clearly only guessing at. The album - under the moniker Joan As Police Woman - manages to be both wonderfully soaring and disarmingly intimate; playful and earnest; obtuse and immediate. At every turn it is utterly compelling.

Think Fiona Apple covering Springsteen's Nebraska, or PJ Harvey backed by Burt Bacharach. Actually wait. Don't. Joan is much too good for such facile projections.

And although the album is lyrically and musically miles away from [inverted commas] "ballad" territory, it boasts the most heartbreakingly beautiful love song I've ever wrapped ears around. The opening (title) track Real Life is shimmering and alive, reeling you in with the perfectly simple opening piano chords and opening up to gliding strings and almost tangible emotion. Close to the perfect love song already. But skirted over in her delivery, hiding behind grander lyrics, is the line that elevates this song above any other I have heard or can imagine.

i've never included a name

in a song

but i'm changing my ways for you,

jonathan

Stop the press.

No other names on the rest of the album. No other direct references to love specific. Just this simple, stunningly honest declaration. And every time I hear it, I wish I was Jonathan. Not Joan's Jonathon. Just someone's Jonathon - that I was the person they'd change their ways for.
Yep, I'm a sap, and Joan brings it out in force. I recommend you let her seduce you too. And crack out the tiny violins of love...

1 comment:

G said...

T-bone i took your advice and checked you out here. Nice work buddy.
I already dug Joan - but if i didn't i would've given her a go.