Intractable answers to life's simple questions.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

GFC? What GFC?


An astute student of fashion and cool - such as your humble author - will have noticed a recent resurgence in the adornment of lapels and pleats with wooden brooches, matte pins and spangly clips. Retro glamour or cutesy handmade seem to be the favoured poles of this world of adornment. (See how well I've noticed, all by myself? Fingers, pulse. That's all I'm saying.)

Anyways, this renaissance of accessorising - presumably a renaissance from glamorous 50's Hollywood and obnoxious 80's - got me thinking of one of the highlights of my misspent youth. Tony Barber. Ok, not Tony Barber without a context. Specifically Tony Barber excitedly offering the bewildered runners up on Sale of the Century a take-home cardboard version of the game show they just lost, and a commemorative teeny tiny sterling silver pin from Germani Jewellers. A commemorative pin! Of an iconic and retro cool TV show! These pins must be worth an absolute fortune to the fashionistas clamouring to add some detachable pizazz to their outfit. And Sale was a long running show - there were thousands of losers! And thousands of losers means there must be thousands of commemorative pins! Tens of thousands even!

And I, dear readers, will buy them all! I will sell them to a pop-culture-hungry public at hugely inflated prices! And I will thumb my nose at this so-called Global Financial Crisis!

[Cue maniacal laugh] Muah hahahahahahahaha!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

An excellent idea - and one that's sure to succeed. As a business model, I’d suggest that potential buyers need not be informed that the commemorative pin is a symbol of mediocrity only given to the losers.

Although I think I saw Tony Barber at a flea market trying to flog them off for $2 each. Sad sight really.

Scott Arbeitman said...

Supply and demand, really. Thousands of pins, but only one buyer, you.

However, if you did distribute them to the basketball team, I would wear mine proudly on my singlet.

Trent said...

@ Anonymous - Which flea market? Was he signing autographs too? As a side not I was wondering if the nightly champs on Sale ever got their victorious mitts on a commemorative pin. You'd think at least one of them cashed in their portable camping fridge won off the famous faces board for a little bling...
@ Scott - Could be a sneaky tactic to blind the opposition with razzle dazzle. Much more effectve than jazz hands in the passing lane.

Trent said...

Obvoiusly a side note. Note, people.